Monday, August 17, 2009

Jesus Died for Us Because We are Worth it??

"God dramatically confirmed His estimate of our worth by sending Jesus to the cross for us. When Jesus counted the cost in Gethsemane before going to Golgotha, He affirmed that sinful humanity was worth the sacrifice. He decided that we were worth it." --Listening, for Heaven's Sake

When you read that quickly, it seems good. At first, I agreed. But as I thought about it, it just didn't seem right. We were worth dieing for? How can we be worth it? Isn't the whole point of Jesus dieing that we aren't worth it?

I did what I usually do-- I asked my dad about it. And he agreed. That's taking God's esteem of us too far.

A few days later, I read this:

"Had men not been lost no Savior would have been required. Had they been abandoned no Savior would have come. But He came, and it is now established that God has a concern for men. Though we have sinned away every shred of merit, still He has not forsaken us. 'For the Son of man came to seek and to save that which was lost.' (Luke 19:10) " --Tozer on the Almighty God

Now that's more like it!

The whole point of Jesus dieing on the cross is not to show how great we are. It's to show how great He is.

No comments:

Post a Comment