Sunday, August 23, 2009

Us? You Mean You Want to be Like Us??

We were having our family Bible time one morning. It was several days ago. And, in the course of discussion, mama told us that at least three people had asked her recently how to get girls like Hannah and I. (Well, okay, so that's probably not how they put it. But you get the point. :) )

Anyway.

At first, I was slightly happy with the news. I mean, it's nice to think that people want their children to be like you. Plus, it was heartening to know that we are living in a holy enough manner that others can detect it. Yes, it is encouraging.

But...

Shortly afterwards, I started thinking about it more. (we're talking seconds after my first thoughts... the human brain is amazing. :) ) They want to be like me? Do they know who I am? If they knew me like I know me... well, we'll just say I don't think they'd want to be like me.

I also thought about how low the standard is. I mean, Hannah and I have done some nice things. Like Bright Lights. And we do dress more modestly than the majority of girls out there. And, yes, we are nicer to our siblings than most girls. And we do have devotions daily...

But, guess what? We could be doing so much better with Bright Lights. And I don't even always meet my own standards for modesty. And I know I could be more helpful, more loving, more caring with my siblings. And I should be doing more for my devotions... I'm not really memorizing anything right now. I know I could be doing so much more for the glory of Christ.

If they think we're amazing, then wow, have we fallen in our expectations and standards. (Does that make sense? :)

So... where am I going with this? I don't really know. But I have been thinking about it quite a bit. So now you get to think about it with me. :P

2 comments:

  1. Carissa,

    That is a very good post. It really echoed what God has been trying for the past two years to show me: that it is only in those few times and places that I let Him to shine through me that I am worth anything to anybody. And I know, and God knows better, how few and far between those are. Thank you for the reminder!

    With joy and peace in Christ,
    Jay Lauser

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay,

    Thank you! It is neat how God works, isn't it?

    That is so true... When we do things on our own, it just doesn't work.

    You are welcome, but really, anything good that comes from me is actually from God. :) I can't take credit for it.

    Joyfully in Christ,

    Carissa

    ReplyDelete