Saturday, April 3, 2010

Hmmm....

So, I've been thinking. (comforting, isn't it?)

I've been thinking about whether or not it's okay to do other things (like chatting to other people or reading things) while talking to someone on the phone.

On one hand, people are busy and I understand that they want to get as much as possible done. I understand that I live in the mulit-tasking generation.

On the other... for me, at least, it feels a bit like the person isn't really all that interested in what I am saying... like they have other things to do.

It can feel this way with chats as well, when you know that the person you are talking to is also talking to 10 other people. :P (okay, slight exaggeration, at least for the most part...)

It's probably technically "okay" to do this... but is it the best thing to do? Does it really benefit you or the people you are talking to when you give them this sort of divided attention?

Now, I'm not saying that I've never chatted with more than one person at a time... I've had up to 5 conversations going at once. (On the phone, however, I usually do nothing but talk to the person. Sometimes I tidy or something like that, but I don't do things that require much thinking. :)) But I didn't like it, nor did I initiate all of those conversations. Even two is hard for me, because I feel like I am not giving as much attention to one person as I am to the other. So... basically, I'm not saying that it's wrong to talk to more than one person at a time, but I think that sometimes you should give your friends your undivided attention... at least for a little while.

What do you all think? (and no, this post is not directed at any person in particular... I've just been thinking about this and talking about it with my dad. He suggested I write about it... so, I did. :))

8 comments:

  1. That is very interesting, my dear.

    The only time I have found talking to more than one person at a time fun is when we are all somehow intricately involved in the same topic and we know who is talking to who about what and how funny each other's responses are, etc. It's a great big confusing fun mess! But I know how you feel about having to multi-task conversations. It used to leave me feeling a bit neglected and/or neglectful, but I'm pretty much used to it now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to flat out say "it's wrong", but I will say it's probably not the wisest thing to do. I don't have a problem when I'm chatting with somebody (over the internet) who is also chatting with someone else. I do have a problem, however, when I'm talking to someone on the phone who is talking with someone else in the background. As you said, you feel like they don't really care about talking to you, and also you don't even know who they're talking to half the time. It's not very polite, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea: Thank you kindly, dear! :)

    Right, I can see how that would be fun. :) Yes... I'm sort of getting used to it as well, but I still don't like it. :P Oh well, I can't help what everyone else does... but I can be considerate of others and give them my full attention when they're talking to me on the phone. :)

    Dakota: I agree! That's what my dad and I were saying... it's not really "wrong", but it's definitely not the most polite thing to do, especially on the phone. :)

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this and been a bit disturbed about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you are talking about. When I am on the phone I put everything else aside (which is why I often tend to turn down requests to talk on the phone about things, because I can't multitask). Multitasking does lower your skill level, and it does dilute your focusing capacity, and so it is best to limit it: balance your multiplicity of activities with their respective levels of required attention. Hard to do, but crucial to survive in any situation.

    Thanks for this reminder! My clients will love you for it. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Of course. :)

    You're welcome! Haha. Not like they will ever hear about me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aahhh... Carissa is thinking! Oh dear. And no, it's not okay to chat to other people and such while you're talking to me! :) I agree, it's best to focus on one person in such situations. I wouldn't know about internet chats. But anyway. I really have trouble with the multi-tasking thing in general. So, the few times that I've tried to be on the internet, reading something, etc. while talking on the phone have not gone especially well. I usually become quite befuddled. Well, I must go. I'm feeling somewhat strange today, in case you couldn't tell by my posts. Ta ta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, Beka! I like when you are feeling somewhat strange. :D Don't worry, I never do that when I am talking to you. I just lay on Hannah's (or mama and papa's) bed and talk (and laugh!).

    Yeah... I don't do all that great with multi-tasking either...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course you like it when I'm feeling strange! So do, I in fact. We get along better that way, I think. Love, "Diana" :)

    ReplyDelete