Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Can I Fight? Please?


Sometimes, I get tired of doing pretty things. Cute things. Helpful things. Sweet things.

I want to fight. I want to do something real. Something... big.

Yes, this is Carissa writing. :P

You may not see it often, but somewhere deep down, there is this streak of... I don't know. Redhairishness. Swordmaideness. (yes, I just made up those terms...) Something like that. It shows up when you hand me a nerf gun or a light saber... suddenly my energy rises and I... well... I get really excited. I even yell "ha!"or "I got you!!!!" when I hit someone... I know, I know... not very ladylike. But hey! I do it in a skirt, okay?? :D





It shows up when I am praying for something urgent, something life and death. A major, evident spiritual battle. I get all excited about the fight. I pray hard and often.

It shows up when I see a blatant lack of logic or justice. (think evolution, abortion, feminism....)

Anyway... sometimes I just feel stuck in this "nice girl" image. I don't feel like I am really doing anything, like I am really making an impact.

But. That isn't TRUE. It's a feeling. And I have to remember that. Yes, on occasion I may be called to fight.

For now, though, I must learn to be faithful right where I am. I must fight my little "pretty" skirmishes well. And, while serving tea to a group of smiling girls or washing a bunch of tables after fellowship meal or smiling at random people in walmart or taking time to talk to (and pass a vision on to, hehe) little girls who will one day be wives and mothers or wearing skirts or staying home helping my family and learning instead of going to college or entering some bill into quickbooks or typing away at a blog post or taking my little brother to the park or... well, you get the idea... even though those things don't feel or seem like important things, they are.

See... the little things add up.

Little drops of water,
little grains of sand,
make the mighty ocean
and the beauteous land.

And the little moments,
humble though they may be,
make the mighty ages
of eternity.

Little deeds of kindness,
little words of love,
make our earth an Eden,
like the heaven above.

So our little errors
lead the soul away,
from the paths of virtue
into sin to stray.

Little seeds of mercy
sown by youthful hands,
grow to bless the nations
far in heathen lands.

Glory then for ever
be to God on high,
beautiful and loving,
to eternity. 


And not only that, but also this:
"If the whole body were an eye, where would be the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where would be the smelling? But now God has set the members, each one of them, in the body just as He pleased. And if they were all one member, where would the body be? But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary." (1 Corinthians 12:17-22) 

There are so many different roles to play in God's kingdom. Just because yours appears less important right now doesn't mean it really is unimportant.

Just think about this: There's a Bible translator, right? A very important job? But he has to eat, yes? And he needs help with teaching, right? And he needs help studying the culture, correct? So... are jobs of the people who cook and teach and study less important? Hmm? If you didn't have those people, he wouldn't be able to do his job, now would he. No. So... how can they be less important? Perhaps they are less visible... but can they really be less important? I think not. Each position, each person, is necessary.

So! Don't be discouraged about your "small hard things"! Or even, haha, your "pretty" hard ones. :P :D Let's keep on fighting these so-called little battles!

For Narniaaaaaa! Aaaand for Aslaaaaannnnnnn!!! Haha, sorry, I just like yelling battle cries. :D

12 comments:

  1. Great post Carissa! I think it's so important for us young ladies to remember all the little spiritual battles we fight everyday. It's easy to forget and get caught up in boredom with being a "nice girl."

    "There are so many different roles to play in God's kingdom. Just because yours appears less important right now doesn't mean it really is unimportant."

    This is so true!

    <3,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish Eowyn could have read this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison: Thank you, Allison! :) Yes... it is easy. Way too easy. :P

    *smiles* Right! Now we just have to remember to remember that. ;)

    Love,
    Carissa

    Jay: *laughs* That might've been good... haha, when I read the books, I was so happy when she came 'round. :D I liked that part. Obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Carissa,

    That is a great poem! And very good points...I grew up wanting to be the knight in shining armor rescuing people. I also had a deep desire to be a true girl but didn't know how. :)

    We have our own strengths and battles, as women of God, different than our men. :) Keep up the fight and realize that everybody, even the men who seem to have the better deal, have to do good in the small battles before they are ready for the big stuff.

    God Bless,
    love,
    Mrs. Mama Lauser

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mrs. Mama Lauser,

    I know, isn't it?? I was very happy when I found the whole thing! I knew the first part, but I'm not sure I ever read the full poem. :)

    Interesting... That sounds somewhat like me. :)I'm not sure I have it quite figured out yet, but I am very thankful for all God has taught me so far!!

    Yes, we do. :) Thank you, I will keep that in mind.

    God bless!
    Love,
    Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Carissa,

    I stumbled across your blog completely by accident in a ramble through the blogosphere, and I wanted to let you know that you have encouraged me. I love the verse:

    And the little moments,
    humble though they may be,
    make the mighty ages
    of eternity.


    God is teaching me to make the most of my little moments - thank you for providing an exhortation along the way.

    Your fellow skirt-wearer and sister-in-Christ,
    Edith
    (at Observatory of the Quotidian)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! I've always wanted to risk my life for something. :) After reading Voice of the Martyrs for years I decided that smuggling bibles to China was the most meaningful and dangerous task I could pick.

    I've pretty much decided that I can write about excitement, and just do something that's meaningful without being dangerous. Just living for Christ can be dangerous, though, you never know what might happen. I think being ready to fight is as important as actually doing it. One day you may wake up and your world will have changed, and you'll get that chance to risk your life to save someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Edith: Wow, I'm excited that you did find me! That's pretty neat. :) I'd say God definitely meant for it to happen!

    Thank you for letting me know that I have encouraged you... that encourages me. Funny how that works, isn't it?

    Yes, that verse is very powerful. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

    You are welcome! Thank you for taking the time to comment! :)

    In Christ Alone,
    Carissa

    Katie: *smiles* That's an awesome goal... as long as you the something you want to risk your life for is Christ!! :D Just, sometimes, "risking our lives" looks a little different from what we originally thought... haha.

    That is very true. Being a Christian is "dangerous", humanly speaking... but of course, I really can't think of anything safer from an eternal perspective. Obviously. :D

    "I think being ready to fight is as important as actually doing it."

    I think you have something there. We should always be ready, waiting for His call. Just like the maidens who brought extra oil, we should be well prepared for whatever may come our way!!

    Thank you both for commenting! I love comments, especially thoughtful ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What do you mean "redhairishness"? I am offended in the extreme.

    Miss me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gah! You live!! :D

    Um, that was a ploy, see. To get you to comment... ;)

    Anyways, I love red hair. So don't be offended. :D

    Yes! Of course I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew that.

    Send me a letter or something.

    Hopefull SOMEday we'll be online at the SAME TIME! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good job.

    Okay okay...

    We DID IT!!! Like, right now we are chatting! :D

    ReplyDelete