Thursday, October 20, 2011

We're All Going to Die!!

Wait. If you are a Christian, you didn't read that right. Go back and read it again. You're not supposed to read it like Chicken Little freaking out... you're supposed to read it like it's the best news ever. :D

I've been thinking about this rather a lot lately, and, oddly enough, it's a very encouraging thought. (Though my sisters keep telling me I really should say "we're going to go to heaven" instead of saying "we're going to DIE". Apparently "die" is too... melodramatic or something.) Anyways.

The point is: this world is not our home. We're just passing through. All the joys and heartaches that go along with this world will soon be gone--the fleeting, transient joys of this earth being replaced with the real, everlasting joys of heaven: and the pain and trials of this sin-cursed world will be entirely eclipsed by the "far greater weight of glory"... He will wipe away our tears... and bid us enter into His joys.
16For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day.

17For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

18While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Somehow, when you look at it like this... you can bear so much more on earth. You can see how He is working it out for eternity. You can see of how little value earthly pleasures are... and you will be more willing to give them up.
44Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field. Matthew 13:44
I don't know about you... but I can't wait to see my Savior's face. To think--we shall see Him!! That... is incomprehensibly amazing.
But, oh, to see our Savior's face!

From sin and sorrow to be freed!

To dwell in His divine embrace--

This will be sweeter far indeed!

The fairest form of earthly bliss

Is less than naught, compared with this.
I don't want to barely scrape into heaven--I want to be welcomed heartily by many who would not be there if it wasn't for me. I want to hear that "well done, good and faithful servant".
19Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Matthew 6:19-21
I want to have treasure in heaven... treasure that lasts. I used to wonder if it was wrong to want that treasure, wrong to seek after it... until our pastor preached on it and said that the whole reason we are told there is treasure to be gained in heaven is so that we will strive for it. It's a reward-- we're supposed to want it.
32Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

33Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

34For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Luke 12:32-34
Sell that you have... I think it means we need to be ready to give up anything here when God asks... we need to remember that earthly treasure isn't the real thing--and use it to gain heavenly treasure.
1 If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.

2Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory. 1 Colossians 3:1-4
Nevermind, we're not going to die... we're already dead. :D And since we are "dead" and our lives are hidden with Christ... our focus is now on things above.

Just a ramble about some of the verses and thoughts that have been swirling around in my mind... not the most organized post ever, but I pray it gets you thinking.

P.S. Don't worry, I'm not in a hurry to die... :D Since I'm still here, I know God still has more for me to do... and I wouldn't want to miss it!!

P.P.S. This post was written from a Christian perspective, with sweet assurance that death is not something to be feared--for the simple reason that our God has conquered death and taken away the sting. I know I am going to heaven--not because I have done anything worthy of going, but because Jesus Christ has paid my penalty and covered me with His righteousness. And with this knowledge and trust, I can eagerly look forward to going home to finally meet my Savior face to face. If, however, you do not have this confidence, and you have not come to know His love and His forgiveness and salvation, please pray that God will show you Himself-- and ask me or someone you know to help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment