Thursday, April 9, 2009

1 John 3 Study

1 Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.

my thoughts: Wow, that is so amazing how much God loves us! He calls us His children-- I am His daughter! How awesome is that!? I'm praising God for His love to me. So, the world does not know me. I'm not of this world. The world does not know me because it doesn't know Him-My Father-It is not part of the family!

2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

I will be like Him! How can that be? That is amazing! I will see Him- He will be revealed to me.

3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.

Wow, if we have this hope and belief that we are God's children, we will be pure, like our Father. So maybe if we are not being pure, we need to focus on the promise that we are God's children.

4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.

If I sin, I am not obeying the laws. Sin is lawlessness. This verse is a bit strange to me, at least right here in this passage. Thoughts anyone?

5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin.

He came to take away my sins! That is great-- I really hate my sins! I can claim that promise, "He was manifested to take away our sins". In Him there is no sin-- I can trust Him and follow His example.

I am doing this study with a girl from the Rebelution forums. She is one of my accountability partners.

Does anyone else have any thoughts to add?

No comments:

Post a Comment