Tuesday, June 15, 2010

We all do it...

"Well, at least I'm better than so and so." "You should be glad I don't do such and such like they do."

I know I do it at times... If I compare myself to most young folks around here, I get a pretty good rating. :P

Many of you (all of you?) reading this blog are "above average". You are given "gold stars" pretty often. And it feels good, of course. We all like gold stars.

But... think about what we are being compared to. The average today is so very low that being "above average" basically means not doing really bad things. That, my friends, is pathetic. (The standard, not y'all. hehe.)

When I joined the Rebelution forum team, I was excited to find that there were others who were ahead of me--people that I could compare myself to and find myself wanting to do more, like they are doing.

However, even if we manage to find some rebelutionaries to compare ourselves to, is that even right? Sure, it's encouraging, and I'm very blessed to have such friends... but: should we really be comparing ourselves to human standards?

I don't think so.

Seems to me that we should, instead, "compare" ourselves to Christ. That leaves no room 'tall for pride! And it leaves us realizing how very much more we have to achieve.

What do y'all think?

4 comments:

  1. When I read this post, this verse immediately popped into my mind.

    "For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." - 2 Cor. 10:12

    Growing up with parents who always revelled in raising the bar for their children, I've often found myself thinking that I'm more well-rounded and I've been brought up better. And, of course, comparing ourselves with others on the temporal level only leads to coveteousness and pride. But, we should never ever compare ourselves with others in relation to our morality and standing before God. Comparing ourselves in light of Scripture only leaves us on our knees, pleading for the Lord's grace to become more evident in our lives. And that's honestly all the "comparing" I'd ever want to do!

    Thanks for such a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carissa,

    Comparing ourselves to others is a trap that many times stops us from moving forward. We get too lazy and prideful or discouraged.

    You are so right that Christ is the only one we can safely compare ourselves to (and not be trapped), because it is only through Him that we can ever become "...perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Matthew 5:48

    With joy and peace in Christ,
    Mrs. Lauser

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. Great Post!!!! One that I needed to be reminded even in my 'old age'. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebeka: Thank you for bringing up that verse! It goes well here. :) I like how people add such good thoughts and verses to my little "starters"! Very nice. :) Thank you for commenting!

    Mrs. Mama Lauser: Very true! Thank you for adding your thoughts! I really appreciate it. :)

    Thank you! And you are not old! When you stop climbing trees, then you will be old. haha. :)

    ReplyDelete