Friday, June 25, 2010

Well, I'm Done...

... waiting, that is. I used to be "waiting" for the next step in my life, but I've decided to quit.*

Huh?

Well... see, awhile ago, I was talking to a friend of ours, who has been married for six years or so and still doesn't have children. Her feelings of waiting for the next step and of not being quite fulfilled reminded me of my own feelings about getting married. And I suddenly realized the folly of this whole "waiting" thing.

We wait impatiently to get married, and then once we're married, we wait impatiently for children, and then once we have children, we wait for them to be able to walk, and then talk, and then we can't wait till they start school, and then we can't wait for them to finish school, and then we are waiting for them to get married, and then we are waiting for grandchildren... you get the idea. It never ends!!

What if, instead of "waiting", we just learned to fully enjoy where we are now??

Sure, we need to look forward to and prepare for the next step, but let's learn to be content with where we are right now and not have the mindset of "waiting" for the next thing.

*Not that I've got this down yet; old thought habits die hard. :P

8 comments:

  1. Dear Carissa,

    Oh, how I want to be better at this myself! You will be so blessed the more you are able to grasp this and keep a hold of it.

    I really like Psalm 37 when I am struggling with waiting. (and frustrated with the evils around us)

    Psalm 37:5
    5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring [it] to pass.

    and Isaiah 26:3
    3 Thou wilt keep [him] in perfect peace, [whose] mind [is] stayed [on thee:] because he trusteth in thee.

    There is so much waiting in life and I don't believe God wants us to waste it. It is valuable and good for us (why else would He have us do it so much =) ). Enjoy where you are at while getting ready for what lays ahead, trusting, relying on, and hoping in God. :)

    Thank you for reminding me of this! I needed it.

    God Bless,
    Mrs. Mama Lauser

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mrs. Mama Lauser,

    I will definitely keep working on it, then! :)

    I also really like Psalm 37. :D I read it pretty often. Hey, maybe we could memorize it together (sort of)!

    Yes, that seems to be the way it is... haha, that's true. God knows what he's doing! Very good advice!

    You're welcome! I need it too. It's kind of funny... most of my posts are kind of sermons to myself as well. :P It's nice to be able to read back and remind myself of these things that I've learned/am learning. :)

    With joy and peace in Christ,
    Carissa

    (I thought since you took my "God bless" I'd take your "with joy and peace in Christ. :D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Godliness with contentment is great gain (1 Timothy 6:6)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carissa. You continually are reminding me what I need to be focusing on! Thank you for sharing your bits and pieces of wisdom. :)

    Would you allow me to post this as a guest post on my blog? :D

    Luv u grl, u rock! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dakota: Indubitably! Thanks for sharing that verse.

    Andrea! Really? That's neat! :) You are welcome... though whatever bits of wisdom I have are definitely from God.

    Sure!! That would be neat. :D

    lol, luv u 2!! u r awsome!(That is a little joke, for those who are wondering what on earth happened to us. haha)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! If you don't mind, I am posting your post on my blog right this very second! :D Cool, huh? (I'm waiting for you to get online so we can talk... I'm bored.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe, so true. Sad, isn't it? Thanks for the reminder.
    Beka

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes it is sad... you are welcome. :)

    Love,
    Carissa

    ReplyDelete