Last year, I was reading Mrs. Lauser's blog, and saw she had started something called a "One Thousand Gifts List." I thought that was a neat idea, so I decided to start one this year. I just reached 1,000 things a few days ago, on July 6th. :)
It has been really good for me, especially when I first started, because I was working for a mom who wasn't... the happiest person ever, and also it was pretty hard work. And, on top of that, Hannah was gone. :P But doing the gifts list kind of forced me to see good things, and that really helped. :) Though I got kind of desperate some days, and that is when I got thankful for water. :D
I considered blogging my list, but decided against it, so if you want to read the whole thing, you'll have to come visit us. ;)
However, I will give you a few (ha!) samples just for fun. :)
3. Nice new colored pens
10. New thoughts from Genesis 1-3
12. The Christmas tree fit into the box the first time
20. Beautiful colors in the sky -- deep blue lightening into nearly green and transitioning into a pinkish orange
21 Parents who like each other
23. Slipper socks
31. Walking around the block with my siblings in the dark in the cold while singing songs
33. Papa did the dishes while we were at church (some of us were sick)
40. Twirly skirts
46. Friends from the Rebelution
51. God's providence in the little things
59. Dirty dishes --means we have food!
90. Laughter in tough times
91. Sunshine and shadow
96. Peanut butter!
97. Adopted siblings
101. Laughing tiredly over ridiculous things with my sisters
113. The joy of using taco meat I made ahead of time :)
122. The fact that we serve a God Who is indescribable and not able to be fully comprehended!
123. Climbing our tree in this weather!
130. Rachel sitting on my lap
131 Hearing about Ellen's scarf and seeing Elisa's practice piece. (knit)
141. Baby Samuel's platelets are at 100,000!!!:D
144. Laughing with the ladies from knitting square
146. Carob chips
149. Nice comments on my blog
155. Thunder and lightening
201. Mrs. Lauser posted pictures :)
202. The way God prepares us for things
221. Baby smiles
222. The cute noises babies make when they're eating
224. Another email from Andrea
228. Mrs. Powell said to someone on the phone "Carissa's awesome, she's so on top of everything"
234. Coming home: "be it ever so humble, there's no place like home"
241. A restful morning listening to the Bright Lights CD, reading my Bible and holding a sleeping Corbin (baby)
257. Rolling down a "hill" with Hannah at Cracker Barrel
259. We got to see Hannah, Victoria, Michaela, Auntie Kim and Cianna
272. Getting added as an Editor on Jay's blog
285. Corbin smiling when I moved my eyebrows up and down
286. Learning that Mrs. Powell hadn't expected me to be much use, but now wonders what she would have done without me. :)
290. Friends who pray for you
337. 1 1/2 hour long phone call with Allison
347. Fun Knitting times at night while we read Understanding the Times (everyone knits now but papa and the boys!)
352. Matthew being funny with reading lessons
356. It got cold again!
367. Talking to Zach and Jeremiah during soccer about science and the clouds and the moon and so on
368. Papa preached again!
381. Pain, so I appreciate not having it. :)
399. Christian Philosophy- makes more sense!
400. A clean counter and empty sink
442. Discussing creation vs. evolution with Josiah
449. WE GOT THE ATTIC [reb] CLEAN!!! :D
459. Singing "Joy to the World" while holding hands and jiggling them (before supper) [one of the boys suggested singing, and so we sang the first song that we thought of. haha. :D]
463. Moving chairs again :) (church)
479. Grandpa's story about throwing shoes at the light to shut it off (hehe, when he was in the coast guard, if they forgot to shut the light off, instead of getting up, they'd just try to break it with a shoe. :P)
487. Going out with Papa to panera bread
514. Fun talking to all the people at the booths at Pioneer days
554. Finding out that I am, in fact, an ENTJ :)
562. Getting to play Nerf again
574. Jay's story about the baby
581. Nice Philosophical discussion with Mrs. Ursu about random things
582. Respect project in Living room!
587. My painting dress
593. Us all "admitting" that we kind of like how the kitchen looks with no cupboards
595. Essence mapping
600. Poking/hitting war with Josiah and laughing hysterically
615. unexpected call from Beka
627. Jay organizing the B-day cards for me. :D
646. Andrea's recording of her singing happy birthday :)
649. Allison's status "HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY CARISSA!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D" [yes, she did have that many smiles. :D]
661. Hannah joined the reb!!
676. Flowers from Josiah (little ones from near the side walk)
681. Joking about "you have a servant's heart" while stacking chairs at church
688. Fun drawing the Elf world
698. Nice long walk down the beach with Cheryl
702. Fun chats with Rebeka
708. Really cool clouds
724. The joy of the Lord!
731. Chess with Josiah--I made him think on one move! :D
733. Sisters doing devotions on their own
738. Fun going in Publix-- all nine of us weighing ourselves, running, etc. :D)
739. Talking with young people at church
740. Light Saber fights with William and Matthew
746. Matt and Brandon liked the cell sock I knit for mama (they called it "sick" and "uber cool" haha)
762. Climbing the oak tree in the dark with Josiah
768. Fun on the stairs and escalators at the convention
781. My garden looking colorful
Wow... I put more than I thought I would. I'll have to add in more later, too. :)
Anyway, I am not stopping at 1,000 (already I'm at 1045) (it's addicting) and I am thinking about blogging my next thousand.
So... What do you think? Yes? No? This blog? Start another one?