Friday, December 4, 2009

Faith, simplified


On pages 56-57, Piper wrote:
"You may ask, “What’s the key for linking up with this reality? How can this be mine? How can I be among the dead who are alive with Christ and who see and savor and spread the glory of the cross?” The answer is implied in the words about faith in Galatians 2:20. “The life I now live . . . I live by faith in the Son of God.” That is the link. God links you to his Son by faith. And when he does, there is a union with the Son of God so that his death becomes your death and his life becomes your life."


We were listening to a message by Mr. Harris, and he was talking about faith and how we are to have faith not only unto salvation, but also in His rules, in our everyday lives, etc... Faith means to have confidence, trust, believe in someone or something. Like you would trust in a parachute when getting ready to jump out of an airplane.

That really helped me to better understand what living by faith means in action: To live our lives trusting that God is good, that He does keep His promises, that He desires what is really best for us, that His ways are the best ways, and so on.

When we believe and trust that all those things are true, (which they are) it makes obeying God the obvious thing to do.

I hope that now that I understand that better, I will be able to live it out more fully in my daily life. That it will help me to be more willing to do what God would have me do.

(This is something that I wrote for the discussion on the Rebelution forums about the book "Don't Waste Your Life". It is very elementary, but still something that I think is helpful to remind ourselves of.)

No comments:

Post a Comment